The Senior Real Estate Research Analyst serves as an indispensable member of MetLife Investment Management’s (MIM’s) Real Estate Research & Strategy team. In this role, the Analyst is tasked with developing investment strategies that promote consistently strong risk-adjusted returns for MIM’s debt and equity clients. Doing so requires gaining an understanding of national, regional, and local economics, the fundamental forces driving real estate demand, capital market impacts, investor behavior, and real estate operations and underwriting. The Analyst is also tasked with oversight of all research and strategy presentations and reports, communicating market and strategy updates to internal clients, reviewing and writing research opinions on potential U.S. real estate equity investments, and leading research discussions with debt and equity investment professionals in MIM’s real estate regional offices.
- Assess real estate market trends, identifying risks and opportunities for both commercial mortgages and real estate equity investments across markets and property types
- Monitor, analyze, and forecast economic and real estate market conditions to contribute to MetLife Real Estate’s investment strategies
- Contribute to marketing and portfolio management efforts in developing the investment management platform
- Help prepare senior management for speaking engagements and potential client interactions
- Assist the research platform in gaining greater visibility in the real estate industry through external publications and involvement in industry organizations
- Partner with our regional office network to generate investment ideas and formulate tactical investment strategies
- Screen and oversee analysis of the potential value of prospective traditional and alternative real estate research data sources
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Demonstrated interest in real estate career through academic or industry experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced analytical skills including proficiency with Excel
- Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate, Finance, Economics, or related field
- Familiarity or openness to learning basic SQL, R coding language, PowerBI, and API queries for NCREIF, Census, and other sources
- 5 – 10% of work time annually
Source: MetLife Real Estate Career Page
About MetLife Real Estate Investments
Metlife has been investing in real estate since 1878. As a mortgage lender, real estate developer, and owner, MetLife's real estate division manages over $70 billion (as of 12.31.16) of real estate debt and equity investments. These include MetLife general account assets as well as assets managed by MetLife on behalf of third-party investor clients. The breakdown of debt investments to equity investments is $51.8 billion in commercial mortgage loans and $18.6 billion in real estate equity investments.
MetLife's Real Estate Group is headquartered in Whippany, NY with regional offices across the world. The group has 150 real estate professionals strategically placed in U.S. offices in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Morristown NJ, San Francisco, and Washington DC. as well as in international offices located in London England, Mexico City Mexico, Santiago Chile, and Tokyo Japan. The MetLife senior leadership averages 25 years of real estate experience, 23 years of which with MetLife.