Berkadia, a joint venture of Berkshire Hathaway and Jefferies Financial Group, is a leader in the commercial real estate industry, offering a robust suite of services to our multifamily and commercial property clients. Powered by deep relationships and industry-changing technology, our people sell, finance, and service commercial real estate, providing support for the entire life cycle of our clients’ assets. Our unique ownership structure allows us to put the client’s interests first and creates a marketplace that delivers a superior experience.
The Underwriter is responsible for analyzing and underwriting potential credit risk for Proprietary Lending Program (PLG) deals at the Principal, Property, Market and Loan level for multifamily and or commercial deals for sizing and underwriting as assigned. In addition, if the application is accepted, work with the Third Party vendors to complete the third party reports and Mortgage Bankers to complete the bridge financing.
- Either completes or sends the due diligence materials to GPO to populate the PLG template. Responds to all inquiries from the MB or the GPO.
- Analyzes and review borrower credit information and structure, third party reports, property financial and physical information to determine deal viability.
- Performs site inspection due diligence to evaluate market competitiveness of the proposed collateral and to determine economic feasibility of the projected income stream.
- Sizing – Prepares underwriting narratives and independent cash flow value estimates, focusing on large, complex transactions, including multifamily, office, retail, and construction loan deals.
- Presents recommendations to the Senior Underwriter, appropriate approval committee, including all key documentation (term sheets, applications, commitments, credit memos, etc.).
- Communicates consistently with the Company’s SR DIRECTOR and as requested with the mortgage banking network and manages borrower clients through the approval and closing process.
- As directed by SR DIRECTOR / SVP Credit collaborates with loan officers, loan closers, and legal counsel to move loan requests through the approval and closing process.
- As directed by SR DIRECTOR / SVP Credit, conducts and participates in customer meetings, site inspections, and conference calls.
- Has detailed knowledge of CRE and Multifamily underwriting, including the development of cash flows forecasts, experience in reviewing and approving engineering and environmental reports, zoning report and appraisals.
- Other duties as assigned.
What someone will need to be successful in this role
- Minimum five years in a similar role
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent
- Adhere to Berkadia’s policies and exhibit proficiency and understanding of Berkadia’s Values and position-specific skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work in a team environment and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to organization policies and procedures.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and consistency.
- Technical Skills – Advanced in Microsoft Office Suite; Salesforce and SharePoint.
- Up to 15% travel required.
Source: Berkadia Career Page
Berkadia, a joint venture of Berkshire Hathaway and Leucadia National Corporation, offers mortgage banking, investment sales and loan servicing offerings to multifamily and commercial property owners in the United States. With over 1,300 experienced industry professionals operating out of 75 offices in primary and secondary market across the United States, Berkadia is one of the largest multifamily services firms in the country.
The company's 100% focus on the real estate multifamily sector differentiates it from its peers and has allowed it to excel at its core competency, namely providing industry-best investment sales advisory, debt placement, structured finance, private equity, and apartment advisory services.