1. The Direct Cap Method to Valuing Real Estate
This is the first course in the 16-course Accelerator. In this case-based course, you will learn to value income-producing real estate using the Direct Capitalization method.
Regardless of your role in real estate, you will use the concepts, skills, and techniques learned in this course almost daily.
In this course you will:
- Learn to build out a static real estate pro forma for a multifamily investment, modeling from Gross Rental Revenue to Net Operating Income
- Derive an appropriate capitalization rate (“cap rate”) from a competitive set of similar properties in the market
- Combine the net operating income and cap rate to arrive at an estimated value for the investment
- See how the principles learned in this course apply in the real world
CASE DESCRIPTION – THE FOLES
You have recently been hired by A.CRE Advisors as part of their multifamily acquisitions team, underwriting prospective investments. Your boss has called you into his office to discuss an Offering Memorandum (“OM”) he just received from a broker, East Lang Ellis, for Foles Tower – a 300 unit, Class A, multifamily high rise in the Center City submarket of Anycity, USA.
Your boss would like you to put together a basic real estate financial model using the information provided in the OM and the supplemental documents that have been uploaded to the broker’s “War Room”. He is requesting you use both the direct capitalization and discounted cash flow methods to assess the value of the opportunity.
- Multifamily; concepts apply to all property types
- While we recommend using Microsoft Excel, as that is the industry standard, this course will work with most other spreadsheet software such as Google Sheets and OpenOffice Calc
- This course was built using the Google Chrome browser, thus we recommend you use Google Chrome for optimal view experience
- This course is best taken on a desktop computer, although the platform is compatible with tablet and mobile devices
EXCEL PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT
- The course assumes you have at least a basic proficiency working with Microsoft Excel
- Lectures 13
- Quizzes 1
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 2162
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes
What you need to know to complete this course
Income Approach - Direct Capitalization
Watch me use the Direct Cap method to value income-producing real estate
- Methods for Valuing Income-Producing Real Estate
- The Direct Capitalization Method
- Direct Cap Step 1a – Effective Gross Income
- Direct Cap Step 1b – OpEx and NOI
- Direct Cap Step 2 – Cap Rate
- Direct Cap Step 3 – Putting It All Together
- Direct Cap – Important Considerations
- Why This Matters – Real World Application
Putting it All Together - The Foles
Your turn. Complete the task related to The Foles case.