This role will be responsible for supporting the regional Mortgage team (Mortgage Production and Loan Management) to market, identify, analyze, originate, close and manage commercial real estate loan opportunities to fulfill the investment needs of MetLife’s general account and third-party clients. Evaluate, analyze, structure, negotiate and close new debt transactions and the pro-active risk management and servicing of the existing loan portfolio.
- Originate, close and manage new commercial real estate loan investments.
- Develop, expand and maintain external relationships with key market participants, such as mortgage bankers, investors and developers.
- Solicit investment opportunities from market participants and communicate MetLife’s commercial real estate loan lending parameters.
- Evaluate new commercial real estate loan investment requests in view of MetLife investment criteria.
- Underwrite potential new commercial real estate loan investments, including evaluating the collateral, sponsorship, and structure. Identify potential risks and propose appropriate structure to mitigate risks.
- Preparation of transaction memoranda and present to investment committees for approval.
- Manage the closing process for new transactions including negotiating loan applications and loan documents, completing all due diligence, and coordinating a closing team that includes loan asset managers, production analysts, attorneys, architects, appraisers and other third-party service providers.
- Participate in the management and administration of commercial real estate loan investments in the Field Office portfolio, including annual mortgage ratings, collateral valuations, property inspections, lease approvals, and loan assumptions and modifications.
- Fulfill all loan portfolio reporting requests, as needed.
- Maintain a close relationship with MetLife’s Debt Strategies Group.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Given MetLife’s broad capital sources with various risk/return objectives, individual should possess creative loan structuring to meet the needs of the client.
- Strong marketing and negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills including proficiency with Argus Enterprise, Excel and Word.
- Extensive relationships across the real estate industry, including borrowers and intermediaries.
- Results-driven professional with 7+ years of experience in commercial real estate loan investment and production. Loan asset management and loan workouts a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in an applicable business-related field; MBA and/or CFA preferred.
Source: MetLife Real Estate Career Page
About MetLife Real Estate Investments
Metlife has been investing in real estate since 1878. As a mortgage lender, real estate developer, and owner, MetLife's real estate division manages over $70 billion (as of 12.31.16) of real estate debt and equity investments. These include MetLife general account assets as well as assets managed by MetLife on behalf of third-party investor clients. The breakdown of debt investments to equity investments is $51.8 billion in commercial mortgage loans and $18.6 billion in real estate equity investments.
MetLife's Real Estate Group is headquartered in Whippany, NY with regional offices across the world. The group has 150 real estate professionals strategically placed in U.S. offices in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Morristown NJ, San Francisco, and Washington DC. as well as in international offices located in London England, Mexico City Mexico, Santiago Chile, and Tokyo Japan. The MetLife senior leadership averages 25 years of real estate experience, 23 years of which with MetLife.