The key purpose of the Real Estate Research Analyst is to use data analytics and spatial analysis to support real estate investment decision-making and strategy development. This purpose will be advanced by (1) identifying patterns of causative factors most closely associated with market and asset investment performance and location emergence; (2) using spatial analytics to evaluate property investment criteria, active transactions, and portfolio holdings; (3) creating and maintaining data analytics tools for use within IREs Global Research group and across other IRE investment disciplines; and (4) collaborating with IRE investment professionals to develop analyses that lead to establishing investment strategy. This role requires the dual abilities of individual technical competence and team-oriented creative collaboration.
Key Responsibilities / Duties:
- Creatively develop straightforward models and spatial analytics for producing insights into real estate performance.
- Use geospatial modeling, machine learning, and statistical analysis methods to identify relationships among factors related to real estate performance.
- Examples of potential applications include classification, time series analysis, regression, statistical inference, and validation methods.
- Design rich data visualizations to communicate complex ideas to senior leadership.
- Develop views of the U.S. real estate investment market from a macro perspective, as well as from a spatial, granular point of view across markets, property sectors, and micro locations.
- Develop and apply empirically-based research in ways that challenge prevailing views, stimulate contrarian thinking, and test conventional notions of investment performance.
- Collaborate with fund and portfolio managers, acquisition officers, asset managers, and underwriters to incorporate research-based thought leadership into investment strategy.
- Communicate views about economic, capital, and space market trends and their relevance to investment strategy and performance within the company and occasionally with external clients. (verbally, in presentation form, and in writing).
- Collaborate with colleagues in the Research group to maintain and enhance our processes and best practices for conducting analysis and forecasts of market fundamentals, investment performance, exit cap rates, and other segmentation metrics.
- Undertake special projects as assigned by the Head of Research for North America and the Head of Global Research.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Experience / Knowledge:
- Candidates with a degree in geographic or spatial information systems, data analytics, or related fields will be strongly considered.
- Candidates with a degree in real estate, business, finance, and related fields with demonstrable skills in data analytics and spatial analysis will be strongly considered.
- Graduate degree is preferred.
- The ideal candidate will have a clear track record of developing analysis that makes a difference in improving investment operations, processes, and performance.
- Minimum four years post-bachelor experience or minimum two years post-graduate experience in real estate research is strongly preferred.
- Experience in an investment management or real estate organization is strongly preferred. Similar experience in organizations focused on logistics or retail site selection will also be considered.
Skills / Other Personal Attributes Required:
- Experience with geographic information systems (GIS) software is required. Experience particularly with ESRI products (including ArcGIS and Business Analyst) is preferred.
- Programing knowledge of SQL, R, Python, etc. is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Power BI is preferred.
- A thorough understanding of demographic and economic analysis as applied to real estate fundamentals is required.
- A working understanding of financial analysis as applied to commercial real estate investment performance is preferred.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills is required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point) are essential.
- Understanding of trade area methodology and design is required.
- Familiarity with how models are built and applied in a business setting is strongly preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Must be thorough and detail oriented.
- This position will be based in Dallas, Texas.
- Occasional travel to IRE offices and industry conferences is required.
FLSA (US Only): Exempt
Source: Invesco’s Career Page
About Invesco Real Estate
Invesco Ltd. is a privately-owned investment management company based in Atlanta, Georgia. Founded over 70 years ago, the company is relied on by institutional investors across the world to manage their various invested assets. The company currently has over $800 billion in assets under management managed by over 6,000 employees in 11 countries.
Invesco Real Estate (IRE) was established in 1983 as the real estate investment division of Invesco Ltd. IRE manages a real estate portfolio of $67.8 billion (as of 12.31.16) with CRE investment teams in 21 locations around the world covering properties in North America, Asia, and Europe.
The Invesco Real Estate Team is made up of 447 employees, managing investments in direct real estate, real estate securities including both equity and debt, infrastructure securities, and master limited partnerships. Employees work out of offices in Atlanta (HQ), Dallas, Newport Beach, New York, San Francisco, London, Paris, Munich, Prague, Madrid, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul, Luxembourg, Beijing, Sydney, Warsaw, Milan, and Hyderabad.