Imagine spending your time using your winning presence and ability to connect with others to open doors and build influential community relationships that advance initiatives critical to the mayor and city council’s vision of creating a city for everyone.
The Office of the Mayor is currently searching for an experienced real estate professional. The Strategic Real Estate Manager will work with city leadership and department directors to develop and execute a real estate strategy. This role will oversee the acquisition, disposition, transfer, and/or conveyance of the city’s real and personal property. As well as provide advice, information and expertise to all departments on real estate matters.
- Manages the overall planning and reviews all major activities impacting the City of Boise’s real estate portfolio. Assists with long-term planning for property expenditures and capital reserve needs in accordance with best practices in real estate and asset management. Analyzes and communicates the impact real estate, construction and projects will have on the city finances. Subject matter expert on real estate activities, asset management, and deal structure. Works with the City of Boise Leadership, department directors, and individuals involved in real estate to provide advice and guidance on the development of real estate-related plans, activities, and transactions. (40%)
- Provides real estate expertise and oversight of all City of Boise real estate transactions, ensuring the best economic return and ensuring consistency with the approved project plan and goals. Participates in the execution of the City of Boise Comprehensive Plan (Blueprint Boise). Initiates and directs the request for proposals or bids; establishes evaluation criteria; and coordinates the selection process for purchase, lease, or disposition of city real property. Serves as the liaison between the city and property owners, businesses, other government agencies, and public utilities on large-scale property transactions. Prepares and implements marketing strategies for the sale of surplus land. Makes recommendations to the mayor and city council regarding transactions. Prepares and administers the annual real estate budget. Administers contractual compliance for appraisal services, public auctioneer services, city leased space, purchase agreements, escrow services, and various agreements pertaining to real and personal property transactions. Orders and reviews appraisal reports, title reports, engineering drawings, surveys, Phase I and Phase II environmental site assessment studies, plat maps, and deeds for accuracy and compliance. Directs closing procedures to ensure accurate and timely completion of property transactions for capital improvements. Coordinates contractual disbursement of funds from various funding sources. Facilitates the preparation of a variety of property transaction contracts and other legal documents. (30%)
- Pursues partnerships with other organizations and communicates the vision with economic development stakeholders. Develops communication and information dissemination methods to ensure all areas of the city are informed of any real estate activities. Manages tenant relations on property that the city leases or is in the process of acquiring. Performs regular inspection and reviews of leased facilities. Arranges and coordinates the relocation of property owners who are displaced by various city real estate projects. Implements or enforces as needed, contractual compliance and maintenance/repair standards to meet existing or new property agreements. (20%)
- Creates, monitors and manages a centralized database for all city real estate transactions. Maintains an accurate inventory of city-owned real estate, leases, residential and commercial revocable permits, insurance, and any other real estate-related matters. Ensures that utilization of existing property is aligned with the City of Boise and departmental goals. (10%)
Required Knowledge, Experience, And Training:
Bachelor’s degree in public administration, finance, accounting or a related field or a Professional Real Estate designation such as SIOR, CCIM, CRE, CPM, etc and six years of progressively responsible experience in the area of commercial real property acquisition, planning, entitlement and development, management, sales or appraising.
Level of Knowledge:
- Intermediate level of knowledge of real estate law and principles; procedures for purchase, sale, and lease of real property and disposition of personal property;
- Working knowledge of economics, finance, appraisal techniques, contract law, and accounting principles relating to real estate;
- Working knowledge of appraisal methodology; condemnation proceedings; county property taxing and recording procedures.
- Ability to interpret legal descriptions, title reports, and abstracts; utilize personal computers including word processing, spreadsheets, inventory revenue, and financial packages; utilize professionally written and oral communication skills; display an attitude of cooperation and work harmoniously with all levels of City of Boise employees and the public; communicate effectively in the English Language at a level necessary for efficient job performance; complete assignments in a timely fashion; understand and comply with all rules, policies, and regulations; maintain prompt and regular attendance; perform all essential and marginal functions as assigned by an authorized employee, supervisor and/or manager with or without reasonable accommodation.