The Director, Finance will be part of the real estate management team which is responsible for providing services to drive optimal returns from investments made by Brookfield managed Funds mainly in third party managed assets in the Office, Industrial and Multifamily sectors. The role is based in Toronto and would also liaise with various teams within Brookfield and across functions.
- Team Management
- Train, mentor and motivate a team of 6-8 finance professionals
- Review work of team members and provide feedback for improvement
- Monitor and analyze team performance in order to achieve performance targets
- Plan resources in line with business requirement and demands
- Lead, coach, develop and evaluate team members
- Oversee legacy funds and special projects as needed. Manage investor reporting and review management fee and waterfall calculation for fund reporting
- Onboarding and offboarding investments – including review of organizational structures and fund flow in close coordination with tax, open bank accounts, review loan agreements, cash management agreements and closing statements, purchase price allocations, onboard third-party property managers, etc.
- Manage investments
- Review the entire investment operations and reporting process and provide guidance to drive quality and consistency in deliverables
- Review various financial information and analytics to ensure accuracy of reporting as well as optimal performance
- Review materials for valuation meeting, board meeting and quarterly results meeting
- Review financial and management reporting for real estate portfolio assigned, including preparing and analyzing return goals (IRR, MOC, TWR)
- Ensure lender compliance, REIT compliance, statutory compliance, governance & control testing, etc.
- Manage investor capital calls and distributions
- Reporting – Fund reporting and investment property reporting
- Review financial statements and investor reporting prepared in accordance with US GAAP – Investment Company Accounting and IFRS
- Manage the external audit and tax reporting process with big 4 firms
- Provide oversight of quarterly reporting deliverables, including board meeting materials
- Financial, Planning & Analysis
- Review valuation models
- Work with asset management team to develop an annual budget as well as a 5 year business plan
- Review regular forecasting/re-forecasting and related analytics
- Monitor liquidity and assess capital needs for the business
- Assist with value-add initiatives
- Support due diligence related to refinancing, dispositions, development and re-development
- Identify areas for process improvement and enhancement; design and implement automation improvement
- Contribute to system enhancements with focus on improving scalability for future growth and increased efficiency
- Liaise with tax consultant, as necessary for real estate tax reassessment and appeals
Required Experience / Technical Skills:
- Recognized professional accounting designation (CPA, CA preferred);
- Proven track record of success with at least 10+ years of progressive work experience with a mix of public accounting and industry experience; experience in real estate is considered an asset
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience managing and mentoring a finance team;
- Experience in accounting systems (i.e. Microsoft Dynamics, Yardi, Hyperion, etc.) and adaptability with learning new applications;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint;
- Understanding and interest in real estate and financial markets;
- Knowledge of IFRS and US GAAP – Investment Company Accounting in relation to real estate investment
Attributes / Personal Skills:
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize work and meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced team environment;
- Experience in managing and coaching a team and overseeing the execution of various work streams
- Team oriented with good coaching skills, demonstrated leadership ability and initiative
- Hands-on team player who can set up and implement best practices
- Superior communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills; able to interact professionally with all levels
- Self-motivated and proactive, with respect to both managing workload and professional development.
Source: Brookfield Career Page
Brookfield Asset Management is a global alternative asset manager with over 115 years of investment experience. The firm currently has over $285 Billion in assets under management (as of Feb. 2018) managed by more than 70,000 people in over 30 countries.
The firm invests across real estate, private equity, infrastructure, and renewable energy. Brookfield owns and operates a real estate portfolio containing $155 billion worth of assets under management and over 450 million square feet of iconic real estate across all asset classes and throughout the world.