Summary: Rapidly growing privately-owned real estate development company engaged in developing large market-rate multifamily communities seeks Multifamily Development Manager. The Company has been active in California and the Western U.S. for nearly 50 years in construction and development. Development Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of ground-up multifamily projects and initially will be responsible for a new apartment project in San Joaquin County, located just outside San Francisco’s East Bay.
- Research, build relationships and expertise about apartment markets in targeted cities.
- Identify, underwrite, and close on land acquisitions for multifamily development projects.
- Prepare financial, physical, and entitlement analyses of prospective acquisitions.
- Prepare and manage detailed project pro formas and financial models in Microsoft Excel.
- Work with Construction team to develop and update cost estimates for project as well as incorporate costs within larger project budget.
- Engage with city and community stakeholders to secure support for prospective projects with the assistance of management and consultants.
- Organize, lead and obtain all necessary entitlements and permits for projects.
- Evaluate, select, engage, and manage architects, engineers, and other consultants.
- Manage the design process to reflect the desired vision via the architecture and engineering team to meet business plan goals.
- Participate in all owner-architect-contractor (OAC) meetings and lead coordination efforts to ensure design and construction issues are being resolved by the project team.
- Manage, review, produce and circulate meeting minutes, submittals, RFIs, change orders field observation and other regular reporting to the project team and appropriate parties.
- Lead review of all phases of schematic design, design development, and construction documents to ensure proper coordination of project team.
- Work with the Construction and Legal teams to identify potential contractors, obtain bids, negotiate terms, and execute construction and consultant contracts.
- Actively seek to identify and implement value engineering and cost saving opportunities.
- Secure, review, and monitor construction schedules.
- Prepare and compile information to help obtain and manage construction loans, permanent loans, and other financing.
- Manage project budgets and engage in job cost accounting and loan draw processes.
- Ensure that insurance requirements are attained and adhered to.
- Work with accounting staff to produce monthly budget forecast and manage any variances.
- Perform periodic site visits to maintain contact with the construction manager and general contractor team to monitor project progress and handle issues in person.
- Oversee and assist as necessary with construction manager and contractor to manage inspector and other pertinent regulatory agency relationships.
- Lead and coordinate the pay application process with the construction manager and accounting staff.
- Work with the construction manager to ensure that projects are delivered on time, on budget, and to the required quality standard.
- Collaborate and solve project problems to enable work to proceed.
- Identify and manage opportunities and risks to achieve the best possible impact on the project’s schedule and financial outcome.
- Help coordinate transition from construction to residential operations and initial occupancy.
- Prepare regular reports and project summaries on the status of the project.
- Provide monthly project and budget updates and as warranted to company’s executives.
- Coordinate with asset management, property management, and consultants to develop a comprehensive marketing, branding and leasing campaign with all the required materials and collateral.
- Coordinate the opening and furnishing of the clubhouse, leasing office, and model units.
Education / Training / Experience
- Degree or professional certification in engineering, architecture, real estate development, or business, or comparable training and experience
- Minimum of five years in real estate development
- Experience with multifamily development projects preferred
- Experience in multiple aspects of the real estate development process (acquisitions, financial analysis, entitlement, design, pre-construction, construction management, marketing)
Skills / Abilities
- Ability to closely and effectively work with Company leadership
- High level of energy and ability to get along with all personality types
- Self-sufficient and able to prioritize and delegate
- Attention to detail
- Experience using Microsoft Office, Primavera, and Procore
- Ability to travel as necessary
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Visits to construction worksites regularly
- Sitting more than 50% of the day
- Lifting up to 25lbs
About Guardian Capital
Guardian Capital is a privately-held real estate development and investment firm. The Company focuses on the multifamily sector and invests in the development of institutional-sized, ground-up development projects. Guardian is active throughout the capital stack, providing equity, preferred equity, and mezzanine debt while sourcing construction and permanent debt from its network of lenders. Guardian’s internal capabilities include project design, entitlement, construction management, and asset management. This combination has established the Company as a uniquely qualified joint venture partner and a full-lifecycle developer and owner. Guardian Capital is based in California and is active in select markets in the Western United States.