Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. will be hiring an Investment Analyst/Portfolio Manager to work in our Vulcan Capital department. For this position we seek an individual with experience in the Healthcare and/or Biotech sectors who is excited to contribute their expertise to an organization dedicated to making a difference and tackling some of the world’s hardest problems.
This position is based in our Seattle, WA headquarters and will support and report to the lead Healthcare PM on the team. The Investment Analyst/Portfolio Manager will be an important part of the Vulcan Investment Management team contributing analytics relating broadly to the portfolio, with a primary focus on public equity investments in the Healthcare sector. The Analyst/PM will be responsible for in-depth financial, industry and economic market analysis for the portfolio in the healthcare sector. Based on their own industry sources, discussions with company executives, company visits, interaction with other Vulcan Analysts and, to some extent, input from “the Street”, the Analyst will be responsible for alpha generation and stock recommendations.
The Analyst/PM will identify, analyze, and make recommendations for the multi-billion-dollar Investment Management portfolio; specific responsibilities include sourcing and analyzing new investment ideas, building and maintaining financial models, creation of meaningful investment reports and making security recommendations.
The Analyst/PM will generate strong, insightful investment ideas based on independent research and will contribute ideas to the portfolio within the team’s disciplined investment process. They should be comfortable holding face-to-face interviews with executive management teams and thoroughly understand markets and competitive dynamics in their respective sector coverage. The successful candidate will be able to provide a differentiated view, identify change in covered companies and sub-sectors, and reach fact-based conclusions within a risk/reward framework. Candidates for the position should exhibit a passion for continual learning and the study of financial markets, and the ability to remain flexible and action oriented while demonstrating conviction under challenging market conditions. The individual must be a team player who is collaborative and accessible.
As a member of our team you will:
- Collect and synthesize investment data at a macro and micro level while developing appropriate. analytical processes to track and record regular changes.
- Recommend strategies that will maximize return within acceptable risk parameters related to the healthcare industry.
- Assist in the preparation of presentation materials for Chief Investment Officer (CIO). This includes the gathering of essential market data, operations evaluation, management team assessment and reference checking, and performance analysis.
- Keep informed of developments in investment markets, using fundamental and/or technical research to arrive at sound and timely investment decisions.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
You will bring to the role:
Educational and work experience related to investment management, preferably at the institutional level. Additionally, the successful candidate should be able to conduct qualitative and quantitative financial analysis taking a bottoms-up approach to fundamental investing. Most importantly, the individual should be intellectually curious and engender a strong sense of commitment and integrity.
Required knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability:
- Strong interest and understanding of the Healthcare sector, with a strong preference for an expertise within Biotechnology and therapeutics investing.
- Strong analytical abilities with modeling and research skills.
- Relevant investment management experience.
- Knowledge of investment valuation methods.
- Experience with investment due diligence processes.
- Strong communication skills (writing, verbal, and presentations).
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Strong academic credentials, including a bachelor’s degree and an advanced degree in a healthcare related field is preferred.
- CFA designation or demonstrated commitment to the completion of the CFA program is preferred.
- Experience researching, collecting and analyzing information related to the healthcare and/or biotech sectors to help investment managers to make effective and profitable decisions on behalf of clients while building a profitable investment portfolio required.
Special remarks regarding work environment:
- Vulcan Capital is a dynamic work environment. Individual will be expected to be flexible and able to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances.
- Must be team-oriented and able to work in a close-knit environment.
- Individual must share a passion and commitment to the values and mission of Vulcan Inc.
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it.
Source: Vulcan Career Page
Vulcan Inc, is a private investment company located in Seattle Washington started by Microsoft co-founder, Paul Allen. The Real Estate Team at Vulcan consists of a small but talented group of ~35 real estate professionals. The team offers a full suite of development and portfolio management services. Since 2000, Vulcan Real Estate has delivered over $3 billion in real estate assets across 33 projects comprising of 8 million square feet and 1764 residential units.
Vulcan's real estate investments have largely taken place in the renowned urban redevelopment project, South Lake Union in Seattle. Approximately 80% of their real estate projects have occurred there.
As of mid-2017, the company manages a real estate portfolio of $2.9 billion, including office, life sciences, residential, and mixed-use assets. Its planned development pipeline consists of 23 investments, which consist of 5.6 million square feet of commercial space and over 3,000 residential units.