This position supports Development and Marketing Directors in all respects of the development process from site viability and market analysis through design, entitlement, construction, occupancy, and potentially building disposition. Specific projects such as tenant improvements are managed start to finish by the Development Manager. During all phases of construction of the interior improvements, customers, consultants, contractors, governmental officials and staff view the Development Manager as their primary conduit to Hillwood.
Management of tenant improvement projects requires specific skills and experience including:
- Project management and team leadership
- Technical knowledge of architecture and building construction
- Accounting procedures and controls
- Real estate property and contract law
- Prepare / Review Contractor and Consultant Proposals, Agreements and Contracts
- Tenant improvement contracts
- Architect, Engineer and Specialty Consultant contracts
- Land acquisition contracts
- Due diligence contracts
- Building and Land purchase / sale due diligence contracts – coordinate with Property Management
- Create, distribute, and update project schedules in Microsoft Project
- Tenant Improvements
- LL Repairs during acquisitions
- Generate and maintain construction status reports for tenants and internal staff
- Maintain outline (short and long form) specifications – base document and specific proposals
- Utilize and maintain the preliminary pricing checklist for TI projects
- Utilize and maintain Development Checklist
- Maintain the standard specifications for shell and TI
Punch list procedure:
- Ensure punchlist is 100% complete prior to turn-over to Property Management
- Receive and distribute weekly updates on punch list items
- Manage any outstanding work repair items as required per the purchase and sale agreement (through coordination with general contractor and Property Management)
- Work with Marketing Director and Brokers as needed to coordinate TI information
- Support Marketing Director in analyzing RFP’s
- Facilitate the development of a conceptual floor / site plan (with architect)
- Document outline specs based on tenant requirements in RFP
- Price conceptual plan and outline specs
- Work with marketing / leasing to determine TI allowances, leasing language, timing for tenant improvement jobs
- Point of contact between tenant, consultants, and contractors, internal staff
Responsible for the following:
- Project scope and budget, including reconciliation of budget-to-actual utilizing the Total Cost Analysis (TCA) tool
- Project schedule
- Project approval process (plans-costs)
- Project consultants
- Permitting process
- Interpret lease requirements and obligations
- Release architect to develop conceptual plan – get tenant approval
- Get preliminary pricing from one contractor to verify budget
- After conceptual plan is approved, release architect to complete bid package
- Select finishes
- Bid project to 3 contractors
- Review and compare scope and pricing of contractor bids
- Develop total cost analysis and obtain all internal Hillwood approvals
- Present low bidder to tenant for approval
- Award TI contract to selected bidder
- Prepare / obtain contract
- Schedule of values
- Value engineering as required
- Attend weekly TI meetings
- Process pay applications
- Coordinate, analyze, process change orders (with tenant approval, if required)
- Coordinate early move-in with tenant
- Coordinate tenant utilities / account #’s with Property Management
- Ensure completion of TI punchlist
- Pursue Certificate of Occupancy
- Close-out procedures (turn building over to Property Management)
- Process and approve final pay applications / release retainage
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; specifically, in Construction Management, Engineering, Real Estate Development or related field.
- Minimum of 3-10 years of project development, management or construction experience.
- Firm knowledge of construction, development, project management and commercial real estate.
- Organized and detailed oriented with the ability to prioritize and manage differing needs of the business.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with executive level internal and external clients.
- Excellent communication and time management capabilities.
Source: Hillwood Career Page
Based in Dallas, Texas and founded by Ross Perot, Jr. in 1988, Hillwood is a well-respected, entrepreneurial-minded real estate firm grounded in the core principles of character, courage, and integrity espoused by its founder. Today, Hillwood is one of the top industrial, commercial, and residential developers in the United States.
The company's founding project, AllianceTexas, has been touted by industry experts as one of the best mixed-use developments in the world. Spanning 18,000 acres and 43 million square feet of real estate, AllianceTexas has led to $64 billion in economic impact and created over 47,000 jobs. Since developing AllianceTexas, Hillwood has gone on to develop other office, retail, industrial, multifamily, and land developments.
Hillwood is continually recognized as one of the most well-regarded real estate development and investment firms in the United States. Among a long list of accolades, Hillwood was named Developer of the Year in 2016 and Industrial Developer of the Year in 2015.
Hillwood companies include AllianceTexas, Hillwood Communities, Hillwood Investment Properties, Hillwood Properties, Hillwood Urban, and Hillwood West. Hillwood has offices in Dallas TX, Fort Worth TX, Westlake TX, and Laguna Niguel CA.