We are currently seeking a talented Real Estate Investment Strategy Principal for the San Antonio Home Office I.
This position is responsible for oversight and development of strategies and policies for investment real estate held in USAA insurance general accounts and other corporate-owned and managed institutional portfolios. Provides investment insight and advice to stakeholders to optimize risk-adjusted returns of investment real estate within established investment portfolio asset allocations, objectives and policies. Provides real estate investment expertise and leadership, collaboration, and insight on activities of investment real estate strategy staff.
- Establishes and develops investment real estate objectives, strategies, allocations, and policies for USAA owned and managed investment portfolios, ensuring alignment and consistency within the portfolios’ overall investment objectives and risk tolerances.
- Develops and provides thought leadership to internal and 3rd-party investment teams, CFO, lines of business, and control partners to ensure thorough understanding of investment real estate objectives, risk tolerances, holdings, asset allocation targets or ranges, and investment policy allowances and constraints.
- Demonstrates expertise in investment real estate capital structures, market conditions, emerging opportunities, and product types, and maintains knowledge of key industry data and trends vital to forecasting future economic conditions and their impact to investment holdings.
- Leads the evaluation on new and existing investment real estate holdings and applies expert analysis to determine or support asset manager recommendations to dispose, maintain, and/or acquire new assets in order to optimize risk-adjusted returns.
- Oversees the selection of 3rd-party investment firms, funds, and/or specialized investment vehicles to fulfill specific desirable investment real estate mandates or themes.
- Influences and builds confidence and trust in recommended investment real estate decisions across all levels of USAA leadership and governance.
- Leads the reporting of investment real estate characteristics and delivers results to all levels of management, governance committees, Boards of Directors, and external constituents. Makes recommendations on future actions based on current results.
- Ensures appropriate processes are in place to monitor, measure and ascertain that portfolio-level investment real estate strategies are generating desired outcomes, and that individual investment real estate managers are achieving expected results while staying within established risk thresholds and investment management agreement guidelines.
- Ensures investment real estate legal structures, documentation, and transaction negotiations align with USAA business and supplier specifications.
- Develops and nurtures positive relationships with reputable and respected third-party investment real estate firms serving the institutional investor marketplace.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Risk Management Economics, or a related field required; 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum of 10 years’ progressive related experience in investment real estate portfolio management, to include 6 years specific asset valuation, performance assessment, and aligning real estate investment decisions to expected results and risk thresholds and investment guidelines.
- Demonstrated strategy development, thought leadership and subject matter expertise within real estate investments and ability to lead and/or lead team(s) through delivery and implementation of strategy.
- Leading edge knowledge and expertise in theories, techniques and key industry trends within real estate investments and ability to apply in a financial services and/or business operations environment.
- Mastery of real estate investment consulting skills to include gathering and synthesizing business requirements and communicating and/or facilitating constructive opportunities to a variety of audience levels and partners internal and external to USAA.
- Knowledge of software and quantitative tools used in investment management.
- Solid understanding of Investment Portfolio optimization through the inclusion of Real Estate investments.
- Understanding of Liability Driven Investing.
- Fluency with Valuation tool used in evaluation multiple Real Estate conduits, to include Intex, Trepp, Bloomberg, Yieldbook.
- Understanding of diverse range of Real Estate asset classes as well as a thorough range of Real Estate Investment conduits.
- Chartered Financial Analyst certification; preferred.
Source: USAA’s RealCo’s Career Page
About USAA Real Estate Company
USAA Real Estate Company (RealCo) manages $17 billion in real estate assets on behalf of institutional investors across the world. Founded in 1982 as the real estate investment arm of USAA, the firm's portfolio includes equity and debt investments in multifamily, office, retail, industrial, hotel, and medical office properties.
The company acquires and develops institutional quality real estate in North America and Europe as well as originates mortgage loans. Career opportunities at USAA include roles in portfolio management, asset management, investor relations, capital raising, debt origination, acquisitions, and development.