The Senior Underwriter is responsible for analyzing and underwriting potential loans on complex commercial real estate loan applications across a broad spectrum of assets. In addition, the Senior Underwriter works closely with the Deputy Chief Underwriter in the establishment of operational processes associated with efficiently and expeditiously executing these transactions.
- Provide training and mentoring internally to other underwriters, analysts, processors, and other team members as needed.
- Work with the Deputy Chief Underwriter to ensure adherence to the Company’s policies and procedures associated with its underwriting standards.
- Critically review borrower credit information, third party reports, property financial and physical information to determine whether the borrower and property meet program requirements.
- Draft and finalize the underwriting submittal package, which includes describing the transaction’s strengths and weaknesses, discussing risks and mitigants, and requesting any associated waivers.
- Provide necessary support and direction during the closing process to assure conformity with the major credit terms of the transaction.
- Remain current on programs, policies, and legislation, including participation in regular training with Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae and other funding providers.
- Participate in process improvements and technological enhancements that facilitate smooth deal execution.
- Other duties as assigned.
What someone will need to be successful in this role
- Minimum five years prior experience in a similar position required in a commercial real estate organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent.
- Exceptional credit sense, judgment and decision making skills, with demonstrable technical skills in underwriting, structuring, and closing complex deals.
- Possess thorough knowledge of products, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Requires an independent worker with strong project management skills, excellent accuracy and attention to details, and an ability to adjust to industry changes.
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite.
Source: Berkadia Career Page
Berkadia, a joint venture of Berkshire Hathaway and Leucadia National Corporation, offers mortgage banking, investment sales and loan servicing offerings to multifamily and commercial property owners in the United States. With over 1,300 experienced industry professionals operating out of 75 offices in primary and secondary market across the United States, Berkadia is one of the largest multifamily services firms in the country.
The company's 100% focus on the real estate multifamily sector differentiates it from its peers and has allowed it to excel at its core competency, namely providing industry-best investment sales advisory, debt placement, structured finance, private equity, and apartment advisory services.