Under the direction of the VP, Investments, you will assist with the underwriting and due diligence process for all acquisitions, developments, dispositions, and renovations in the assigned portfolio. As a Senior Investment Analyst, you are tasked with helping to maximize EQR’s overall portfolio value via ongoing investment performance monitoring and in depth portfolio level analysis. You will be heavily involved in monitoring and analyzing monthly portfolio operating statements, analyzing variances, and benchmarking performance, while proactively making suggestions to improve the ROI of portfolio assets. Each day will be unique, requiring an ability to work independently, ask questions when needed, think strategically, take initiative, and employ a diverse set of skills.
WHO YOU ARE
- Analytical and Creative. You like thinking outside the box to come up with smart solutions to new challenges, and you embrace the opportunity to live in the gray.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others.
- Organized and Confident. You are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously while confidently interacting with individuals across all levels of the organization.
- Motivated. You invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- A Solution-Oriented Team Player. You are united with teammates and follow through on commitments.
- A Self Starter: You are intellectually curious and goal oriented; you like to solve complex problems and find unique solutions.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Conduct financial modeling and due diligence analysis for potential transactions and current assets.
- Monitor property operating results as well as perform variance analysis to explain monthly and year-to-date results as compared to budgets.
- Closely monitor capital spending programs including property redevelopment/renovations and retail Tenant Improvements to ensure that programs are within the planned budget guidelines.
- Interact on a daily basis with Investment Officers, Vice President of Property Management, Regional Managers, commercial real estate brokers, appraisers, environmental consultants, real estate tax consultants, and internal EQR customers.
- Monitor local market conditions including supply, demand, absorption, rents, and vacancy rates, and conduct research including comparative market analysis.
- Organize due diligence efforts for transactions that are under agreement. Perform analysis of existing portfolio financials, property operations, and capital projects.
- Conduct portfolio analysis in order to benchmark and improve investment performance.
- Work with internal revenue management team to evaluate and improve pricing models, including LRO revenue management software and amenity value evaluations.
- Assist in monitoring regulatory and legislative developments and managing participation in state and local affordable housing programs.
- Lead or participate in other special projects as assigned.
- Participate in the full real estate ownership cycle: Senior Investment Analysts are involved in the purchase of raw land, ownership of stabilized assets, and the disposition of assets out of the portfolio.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate, Finance, Business, Engineering, or other related field.
- 3-5 years related financial modeling experience with a strong understanding of financial and real estate concepts such as DCF, IRR, NPV, NOI, cap rates, etc.
- Must possess strong analytical mindset, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel and Powerpoint and technical expertise with complex financial modeling.
Source: Equity Residential Career Page
About Equity Residential
Founded in 1969 by real estate investor and industry icon, Sam Zell, Equity Residential (NYSE: EQR) has grown to become one of the largest publicly traded real estate investment trusts in the world. The company is based in Chicago, Illinois. As of April 2017, Equity Residential owned or had investments in 302 communities and over 77,000 apartment units. The majority of Equity's apartment communities are located in primary markets including Boston, New York, Washington DC, Seattle, San Francisco, and Southern California.
Equity Residential's long-term strategy for outperforming its peers comes down to four objectives: 1) allocate its capital for outsized results by buying, building, and selling apartments at opportune times in the cycle, 2) concentrate its investments in walkable, high barriers-to-entry, dense coastal markets, 3) maintain a strong and flexible balance sheet through a low debt to operating cash flow strategy, and 4) strive for a sophisticated and efficient operating platform to maximize revenue and control expenses.
While its headquarters is in Chicago, IL, Equity Residential has regional offices in Los Angeles, Irvine CA, San Francisco, Boston, New York, Seattle, and Washington DC.