Excited to share the new A.CRE Hotel Development Model with everyone. As evidenced by the numerous requests we have gotten for this over the years, this model is long overdue so I’m quite happy to get it out there finally.
At the core, the hotel development model is basically a hybrid of our Hotel Acquisition Model – The Basic Model and our Condominium Development Model with a lot of customization work added. Between the both of those models, there was mostly everything we needed, so if you have used or are familiar with either of those models, the components and the mechanics of this model should be somewhat familiar to you.
What’s Included in the Hotel Development Model
The model contains seven worksheets as follows:
- Summary – contains General Info, Timing, Exit Assumptions, Project Level and Partnership Returns, Sources and Uses, Property Metrics, Construction Financing and Refinancing Assumptions
- Operating Cash Flow – contains annual operating projections and input assumptions for revenue and expense line items. Also, allow for year 1 stabilization projections for occupancy on a monthly basis.
- Budget – build or input your budget assumptions here.
- Monthly Cash Flows – here is where you project out your development cash flows, review the draw schedule and input your interest rate projections, adjust the seasonality of your NOI, and review your monthly levered and unlevered cash flows.
- Annual Cash Flows – A simplified roll up of the monthly cash flows
- Custom Cash Flows – if you select Custom projections for any budget line item in the Monthly Cash Flow tab, you will come to this tab and manually input your custom cash flow.
- Waterfall – model out partnership splits between a GP and LP over four tiers using IRR hurdles.
Video Tutorial – Using the Hotel Development Model
Download the A.CRE Hotel Development Model
To make this model accessible to everyone, it is offered on a “Pay What You’re Able” basis with no minimum (enter $0 if you’d like) or maximum (your support helps keep the content coming – similar real estate development models sell for $100 – $300+ per license). Just enter a price together with an email address to send the download link to, and then click ‘Continue’. If you have any questions about our “Pay What You’re Able” program or why we offer our models on this basis, please reach out to either Mike or Spencer.
We regularly update the model (see version notes). Paid contributors to the model receive a new download link via email each time the model is updated.
Version 1.0 – 2019.10.28
- Initial launch
About the Author: Michael Belasco has over nine years of real estate and construction experience. He currently works for a global real estate investment, development, and asset management firm in San Francisco managing large scale development projects in the city. Michael has both an MBA and Master in Real Estate with a concentration in Real Estate Finance from Cornell University.