I built, and would like to share, a real estate portfolio model for valuing a portfolio of up to 30 properties. This is a “roll-up” model, meaning you will need to model your property-level cash flows before financing in ARGUS or a separate Excel model. However, once you have property-level cash flows, this is a quick and efficient way to see how the properties perform when modeled together as a whole.
The model is fully dynamic, calculates all of the basic return and risk metrics, handles your financing assumptions, allows for multiple scenarios, and uses just six tabs. Below you will find the link to download this portfolio acquisition model, as well as a tutorial on how to use the model.
If you like this model, but don’t have ARGUS, you might find some of our other real estate financial analysis models helpful to model property-level cash flows. You can also check out our entire collectiono fo Excel real estate models. Finally, check out our free ARGUS training tips and resources.
Download The Model
To make this model accessible to everyone, it is offered on a "Pay What You're Able" basis with no minimum (enter $0 if you'd like) or maximum (your support helps keep the content coming - typical real estate models sell for $100 - $300 each). Just enter a price together with an email address to send the download link to, and then click 'Continue'. If you have any questions about our "Pay What You're Able" program or why we offer our models on this basis, please reach out to either Mike or Spencer.
Note (especially for Gmail users): The model is sent via email and occasionally is blocked by spam filters. If you don't see the email arrive within five minutes, check your spam folder.
Real Estate Portfolio Valuation Model
- Requires individual property-level cash flows to be calculated in separate model
- Roll up property-level cash flows to portfolio level
- Model portfolio-level debt
- Calculate portfolio-level risk and return metrics
- Includes module for calculating partnership returns via an equity waterfall model
This Excel file (the "software") is distributed as is, completely without warranty or service support. www.AdventuresinCRE.com and its authors are not liable for the condition or performance of the software. www.AdventuresinCRE.com owns the copyright and grants users a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license with respect to the software as set forth below.
www.AdventuresinCRE.com and its authors hereby disclaim all implied warranties. www.AdventuresinCRE.com grants the users the right to modify, copy, and redistribute the software and documentation, both within the user's organization and externally, subject to the following restrictions:
1. The users agree not to charge others for use of the software, regardless of whether users have altered and/or improved the software in anyway.
2. In any use of the software, the users agree to acknowledge the www.AdventuresinCRE.com authors that developed the software.
3. The users agree to obey all government restrictions governing redistribution or export of the software.
4. The users agree to reproduce any copyright notice which appears on the software and documentation on any copy or modification of such made available to others.
NOTE: Updated 7.19.2015 to v2.2 – Click here for update notes
For instructions on how to use the model, check out our video tutorial:
About the Author: Born and raised in the Northwest United States, Spencer Burton has over 15 years of real estate investment and development experience. In his current position, Spencer assesses new acquisition, development, and debt opportunities for a $45bn real estate fund. He resides in Dallas, TX.